Tuesday 6 November 2007

Gay death in Iraq: a desperate call for help

I know first-hand accounts on the fate of LGBT Iraqis. One of my close friends is gay Iraqi and through him I met some other members of the community in London. This rare documentary contains real life examples of recent persecutions and murders of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in Iraq. The situation described there is horrific, to say the least. They desperately need our support. They desperately need support and attention of international community and international gay community. "We feel deserted by the international gay community. Few people seem to care about our fate," - say LGBT Iraqis.

Here is just a small excerpt from this chilling documentary about 'proud' confessions of a father who killed his son:

"I found out he was gay. I killed my son and now I am considered a hero by my friends. I hanged him in my house, in front of his brother to give an example to him and to prevent him from doing the same."

He was charged for murder but soon was released after his lawyer explained why he committed his crime. Apparently, new Iraqi constitution states that a person who commits the crime to restore the honour of the family should be exempt from the prosecution.

This short film entitled "Queer Fear - Gay Life, Gay Death in Iraq". After watching it you will understand that "Gay Life" part of the title is pretty much irrelevant here... (thanks UKGayNews for the link)



Read UKGayNews article on how you can help LGBT Iraqis here

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi. Would you object to me reproducing this on www.stophonourkillings.com? You can email me through the site if that's OK with you.

Joanne
Webmaster
International Campaign Against Honour Killings

artmika said...

Hi Joanne,

You certainly may reproduce it on www.stophonourkillings.com

Regards,

artmika