Wednesday 4 November 2009

Confessions by famous Armenians: Andre Agassi and Dita Von Teese

This past week saw two noticeable confessions by famous Diaspora Armenians - tennis player Andre Agassi and burlesque artist, model and actress Dita Von Teese. (about Dita's Armenian roots - here). They include revelations of drug use in both cases; also boob job (Dita Von Teese) and fear of hair loss and wearing the wig (Andre Agassi).

Andre Agassi (Earlier excerpts revealed his use of drug crystal methamphetamine in 1997. The 39-year-old, who retired in 2006, admits that - in order to escape a ban - he lied to tennis authorities that his drink had been spiked with the highly addictive drug. See also The Times): "Every morning I would get up and find another piece of my identity on the pillow, in the wash basin, down the plughole," he writes.

But after the wig fell apart in the shower the night before the Paris final, his brother helped him clamp it together using about 20 clips.

Agassi writes: "Of course I could have played without my hairpiece, but what would all the journalists have written if they knew that all the time I was really wearing a wig?

"During the warming-up training before play I prayed. Not for victory, but that my hairpiece would not fall off.

"With each leap, I imagine it falling into the sand. I imagine millions of spectators move closer to their TV sets, their eyes widening and, in dozens of dialects and languages, ask how Andre Agassi's hair has fallen from his head."

Dita Von Teese: Burlesque stripper Dita Von Teese says she opted for a boob job when she was 21 because her breasts had become ravaged by the effects of her LSD and Ecstasy habit.

The 37-year-old ex of goth freak Marilyn Manson is quoted as saying in Fabulous magazine: 'I was a bit of a party girl in the early '90s and used LSD and Ecstasy.'

'Eventually my weight dropped to 6stone 7lbs and I looked terrible, so I gave up drugs. My breasts never recovered, so when I was 21 I had 32D implants. Now I'm a healthy 8 stone and 2 pounds.'

Meanwhile, the hour glass beauty told the magazine she too suffers from cellulite but has her own magic way of disguising it, even when she strips.

'Just like any woman, I have a bit of cellulite, but you'd never know thanks to good lighting and my way of posing,' she says.

'We all have our flaws, and the best we can do is accept them – and disguise them!'

*pictures - via BBC and Metro

1 comment:

rakeback said...

I saw Agassi's 60 Minutes interview and I think he has very genuine intentions with this book. He started off his tennis career with the famous saying "Image is Everything", but he has now become a man of substance.